This workshop provides training on the requirements of the Commonwealth Privacy Act's new Data Breach Notification Scheme (DBN Scheme).
The DBN Scheme, which commenced on 22 February 2018, requires organisations that suffer a data breach posing a serious risk of harm to individuals to notify the Commissioner and individuals about the breach. The requirements have a major impact on how organisations are required to manage incidents and the ramifications of breaches.
The course will equip participants with a detailed understanding of:
• the DBN Scheme requirements;
• core steps in good data breach response management;
• how acting quickly to remediate a breach can prevent triggering notification requirements;
• how to apply the scheme requirements in real-life scenarios;
• issues to address in supplier and client contracts;
• how to develop compliance measures;
• how to incorporate measures into a data breach response management framework.
Attendees will be provided a copy of the Data Breach Notification Scheme: Guide & Toolkit (referred to through-out the workshop), containing:
• detailed guidance on scheme requirements;
• flowchart to manage compliance;
• overview of core elements of a data breach response management framework;
• sample notification statement;
• checklist of issues to cover in supplier and client contracts.
The workshop is preceded by a Privacy Training Workshop on the same day. The workshops can be undertaken separately or together as a package - see below.
2. Costs of data breaches and notification
3. Overview of data breach response management
Data Breach Response Management Policy
Data Breach Response Plan
4. Breaches that trigger notification requirements
"Eligible data breaches”
How to assess whether there is a risk of “serious harm”
5. Taking prompt remediation measures to prevent triggering notification requirements
6. Preparing data breach notices
What must be included
Optional information to include
7. The notification process
To the Commissioner
8. Commissioner's approach to incidents
9. Jointly-held information
10. Supplier and client contracts
Who should attend?
Privacy Officers, Chief Information Officers, Records Managers, Risk Managers
Jeremy Douglas-Stewart is a specialist privacy consultant advising businesses and government on privacy laws and data management practices. He has been recognised as a leading privacy lawyer in Australia. Jeremy has published extensively in the field of privacy and is author of a national privacy law loose-leaf service. He was a member of the Privacy Commissioner's Consultative Group during the review of the Privacy Act in 2004/05 and of the Australian Law Reform Commission's Privacy Principles Roundtable in 2007.
Workshop format (PowerPoint presentation, case studies, group discussions and practical activities)
> DBN Scheme Training Workshop - $425 + GST
> Privacy Training Workshop + DBN Scheme Training Workshop - $891.25 + GST
(includes 22.5% discount on both workshops)
Group discounts - 2 persons - 5%; 3 persons - 7.5%; 4 + persons - 10%
Not-For-Profit discount - 5% (in addition to other discounts). To obtain the discount when ordering online, select “Discount coupon” and enter “nfp” as the coupon code.
Materials only - If you cannot attend, workshop handbooks can be purchased separately - see under "How to Register".
Cities, venues, dates & times
Duration: 1.5 hours
Time: 3.15 - 4.45 pm
Thurs, 12 Apr 2018
| Pan Pacific Hotel, 207 Adelaide Terrace, Perth
Fri, 13 Apr 2018
| Adelaide Convention Centre, North Terrace, Adelaide
Mon, 16 Apr 2018
| Adina Hotel, 511 Kent St, Sydney
Tues, 17 Apr 2018
| Crowne Plaza Hotel, 1 Binara Street, Canberra
Wed, 18 Apr 2018
| Mantra Hotel, 570 Queen St, Brisbane
Thurs, 19 Apr 2018
| Rydges Hotel, 186 Exhibition St, Melbourne
Booking deadline: 3 business days prior to date of workshop.
To request e-notification of future workshop dates, send us your email address through our contact us form with "DNB Scheme workshop dates" in the subject field.
> Data Breach Management: Guide & Toolkit
> Data Breach Notification Scheme: Guide & Toolkit
> Privacy Training Workshop
> Online Privacy Training for Privacy Officers & Managers
> Online Privacy Training for Staff
> Australian Privacy Law Handbook
View printable version